Friday, February 3, 2012

Godspell



A few months ago we got free tickets to see Godspell. My husband was a little apprehensive about it, I didn't know much about it but was game. We almost left at the intermission. I was so embarrassed for the actors, although their singing and energy was great, the material was so hokey and it was directed in such a weird and juvenile way. There were so many cringe worthy segments it was difficult for me to look the actors in the eye, and since the theatre was a circle there was plenty of opportunity to look them in the eye. The theatre itself was actually very awesome, too bad the play was so .... simple. The casting of the blond haired blue eyed white guy as Jesus was just so predictable, as was the casting of a black guy as Judas. Seriously? In this day and age?? Whatever, I guess I'm not the target audience, because the only thing I'm glad about is that the tickets were free. During intermission they offered free wine in the tiny plastic cups (like they serve at those big evangelical churches) and several people swooped down from the audience to partake, We were a little suspicious that there was more than wine in the glasses given the heavy handed nature of the first act, so we passed. They also threw out mardi gras beads during the first act, gold ones to hammer home that greed is evil, but I was just glad no one had to flash to get their beads. Any way to each their own I guess, but I don't recommend it.

No comments: